Monday, May 28, 2012

Just because she enjoys it....

Doesn't mean I do! Samantha loves science. Normally I do too.  As of a few weeks ago we already moved onto Science 2.  She was so disappointed with finishing first grade science. Well the experiments in first grade science were simple... tasting things for your senses, banging on things to hear the vibration, making our own cloud in a jar, you know simple easy not GROSS.

Well I don't like second grade science. No I don't.  The first few chapters were simple enough. She learned about fossils so she made her own fake fossils. She learned about how plants grow, what scientists do and about magnets.  Well this last chapter was all about bones.  No big deal right??? Wrong.  First I had to get a chicken bone and put it in vinegar and record what happened after a few days.  Fine that was cool.  Then yes I had to get a whole chicken and clean it completely so Samantha can look at the bones and put them into their category.  NOT FUN ask my son's I absolutely hate to tough meat. Mostly raw meat grosses me out. BUT cleaning a chicken carcass not so fun and yes extremely gross.  Samantha better understand what a sacrifice it was to touch that poor chicken and clean it completely.  Then my sweet little child thought it was too gross to touch and only looked at them.  At least she got a good look at what the bones were what shape and what cartilage looks like.

I wonder what the future science experiments will be.  I refuse to look to forward as I really don't want to know. 

Why oh why couldn't we start on next years history instead? That's her other love.



This weekend was a lazy weekend with Samantha sick.  So we just hung around.  Then I was looking in the freezer for supper and found tucked in the back a forgotten science experiment.  Well not so much of an experiment but fun.... we did a lesson on winter.  Part of the fun was making fake snow. So in the late winter when we didn't get any more snow we created fake snow from a kit and she played with. I stuck it in the freezer per directions and forgot it. So this weekend we took it out and played with it in the back yard.  It was weird. It felt like snow. 




1 comment:

Danielle said...

I am SO with ya on the meat thing! Actually, I found a microscope kit at Saver's and was SO tempted to get it. UNTIL. I opened it up and there was gook and dried blood on some of the parts. I think I might have dry heaved right there! :P

I looooove when you share your activities!

...danielle